Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Something inspiring

In my psychology class we have just entered the topic of memory and to start off we watched Akeelah and the bee. Now every Friday my teacher Mr. Hardt tells a friday story that is pretty inspiring but this week he didn't, he gave us a slip of paper with this amazing quote on it.

" Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves; Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in EVERYONE. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I've seen this quote many times before because it happens to be my brothers favorite quote and until now I didn't realize how much it affected me. It's so true though. Everyone was born to be somebody, so why do we dim our own light? Why is it so hard for people to let go? I know for me it's a state of mind type of thing, I am definitely my biggest critic. But aren't we all? Why is it so hard to sing in public but so easy to dance in the rain?  We all wish for success in some way and if everyone just let go and be the way they are when they are home alone then the world would be filled with characters instead of people pretending to act like what society calls "normal and acceptable". I am guilty of acting the way society thinks is acceptable and I know that. It's hard to be who I really am out in the real world because what if I am not accepted and I know I am not the only one that feels this way, everyone  wants to feel accepted its natural so why do we make it so hard?  The simplest things in life that cost no money are the hardest to achieve. It shouldn't be easier to pretend to be someone else but it is. One day the world is going to change, I just know it, I mean it has to we can't continue to live the way we do. For someone who is constantly viewed as different just because I look different it gets hard. It's like when you walk in to class late and as soon as you open the door everyone looks and stares, that's how my whole life has ever been . People ask all the time, " how do you deal with the stares?" Well as hard as I try to ignore them it doesn't always work so what do I do now? Huh... My point is we make this world what it is, I know we blame the media and celebrities for things that happen but who's choice is it to follow the trend or make a decision? It's yours, stop complaining and just do it...so be who you are and don't dim your light for anyone. Listen to the one of the greatest authors of all time

1 comment:

  1. So inspiring. I love you so much Kianna! You're one of the strongest people I know.<3

    ReplyDelete